Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Life Skills Apps

Today we went over a few hygiene apps that were intended to teach Life Skills to the students. I hoped they could identify age groups the applications would be most appropriate to use and why.


We also looked at a Job Search application that was a bit deceiving. I had hoped it would be both entertaining and helpful, offering videos that would be useful for students in the job hunt. The videos were direct links to YouTube, but two of them weren't even related to job searches at all- they were just entertainment.

I struggled again today with keeping the kids focused. When I asked them comprehension questions to see if they had been paying attention, it was clear that none of them had been. I also gave them a "quiz" on what we had gone over up to this point, and the scores weren't very good at all. I don't know if they just didn't care to try or what. They seemed to enjoy the classes when we went over the applications, so I don't know where I went wrong.

Students need to understand that using iPods in my class is a privilege and if I see it continuing to be abused it will have to stop for everyone. This is a pilot program and I am hopeful that it will be a successful one, but it will take the cooperation of everyone to make it that way.

1 comment:

  1. Well, the app we did helped us alot and some people it didn't .

    ReplyDelete